Imagine a North Bay that lives harmoniously with fire and understands its critical role in tending our cherished and beautiful open spaces.
Fire Forward, a program of Audubon Canyon Ranch, brings a unique blend of science-based program design and community organizing to our region as it seeks to become a model of fire-adapted communities tending fire-adapted landscapes.
We are building ecosystem resilience together:
- Teaming up with private landowners, public agencies and conservation partners around a shared purpose of effective fuel management.
- TALKS & WORKSHOPS: Attend a Good Fire Alliance info session or join a workshop on a range of fuels management approaches, like grazing, creating shaded fuel breaks and home hardening.
- Building our region’s capacity to accomplish this work through prescribed ﬁre training and equipment sharing.
- TRAINING & EQUIPMENT: Our Wildland Fire Fighter Type 2 training is designed to build a local team of prescribed fire participants. Our mobile unit of prescribed fire and understory thinning tools will be available as a shared resource across the region.
- Working with partners to implement ecologically sound ﬁre and fuels treatments on ACR preserves and partners’ lands.
- TREATMENTS & FOLLOW-UP: By working closely with CAL FIRE, partners in the Sonoma Valley Wildlands Collaborative, our own preserve managers and other regional landowners, we are making North Bay ecosystems more resilient and our communities safer. Fuels treatments on our own lands are paired with monitoring protocols and data collection to inform management moving forward.
DOWNLOAD THE FLYER (pdf)
Fire Forward is funded in part by the Farley Family Charitable Foundation, the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria, USDA Forest Service, the California Forest Improvement Program, Coalitions and Collaborations, Inc. (COCO), the California Deer Association, Mystery Ranch, and many generous members and supporters of ACR.